CD & DCC

Combating Disaster & Desertification and Climate Change

UDYAMA is practicing community resilience &   advocating for adaptation issues & facilitating collaborative action on climate change, prevent degradation. Fact that  Odisha unfortunately is in the path way of depressions and cyclones formed in the Bay of Bengal during south west monsoon. With advance in global warming and climate change if sea storms acquire greater destructive power as is being forecast, the state will be required to bear the brunt of such storms which means all the gains of development will be washed away in flood/storms waters, The intensity and frequency of droughts and floods appear to be increasing every year with declining vegetation, biodiversity and ground water availability. There is media reporting that these regions are slowly moving towards desertification that accelerates perpetual hunger, due to climatic variability, continuous crop failure.
Disaster and desertification

"Disaster Prevention & Response" contains resources related to emergency responses to environmental and medical catastrophes in developing countries. "Stabilization & Reconstruction" includes knowledge resources needed to stabilize and rebuild developing countries following environmental disasters or armed conflict. Developed through a partnership with the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), Developed through a partnership with the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).
 
India's vulnerability to natural disasters because of its unique geo-climatic conditions. Floods, droughts, cyclones, earthquakes and landslides are recurrent phenomena. About 60% of the landmass is prone to earthquakes of various intensities; over 40 million hectares is prone to floods; about 8% of the total area is prone to cyclones; 68% of the area is susceptible to drought; and about 30 million people are affected by disasters every year.

For Climate Change

The South Asia Rural Livelihoods Cluster includes World Bank project teams and implementing teams in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka who are implementing multi-sector programs targeted to the poor. Livelihoods projects focus on building institutions of the poor, empowering them, building their capacity, and aggregating them so they have the bargaining power to negotiate for better consumer prices, and better prices for their goods, and to access financial resources.

Image